Subject Area Awards
Students will compete for 1st and 2nd place prizes based on their subject area grouping. Subject area winners are decided based on the total score and ranking (1st or 2nd) in their overall subject. First place winner receives $300. Second place winner receives $150.
Student Organization Award
The student organization with the most volunteer points (total combined volunteer hours worked) will receive $500 for its members who volunteer.
Special Awards 2017
Sigma Xi is sponsoring the following awards this year:
i) Sigma Xi Symposium Theme Award
ii) Sigma Xi Interdisciplinary Award
There will be a winner from the graduate & undergraduate category for each of these awards. The prize money for the graduate & undergraduate category is $300 & $200 respectively.
1) humanities content – does the project explore the meaning and understanding of human experience
2) interdisciplinary scope of the project?
Two $100 undergraduate awards and two $100 graduate awards. There will be one award given for undergraduate oral presentations, undergraduate poster presentations, graduate oral presentations, and graduate poster presentations.
This $500 award honors the best emergent research in the area of higher education and/or high impact student learning in higher education. It is designed to encourage high quality research relevant to higher education (policy issues, finance, administration, student services, retention/persistence, etc.) and/or high impact college student learning (student organization leadership, living learning communities, study abroad, student employment, etc). Up to two Higher Education and/or High Impact Learning Research Awards will be presented each year. This award is proudly sponsored and made possible through funding provided by the Division of Student Affairs.
ii. ACE in Higher Education Research Award
This $500 award honors the best emergent research in the area of diversity and inclusion issues in higher education. It is designed to raise awareness and advance research on diversity and inclusion issues in higher education (accountability, campus climate, equity, policy, programming, services, student development, etc.). Up to two ACE in Higher Education Research Award will be presented each year. This award is proudly sponsored and made possible through funding provided by the Division of Student Affairs.
One $1,000 undergraduate award and one $1,000 graduate award (in either poster or oral)
- The University Writing Center Award for Outstanding Abstract recognizes a project summary that is clear, concise, logical, and engaging. (One undergraduate and one graduate award to be presented.)
- The University Writing Center Award for Outstanding Presentation recognizes a project presentation that combines a lively delivery with informative visuals. (One undergraduate and one graduate award to be presented.)
This award honors the most innovative, yet practical research that exemplifies the focus areas of Texas Sea Grant: Resilient Coastal Communities & Economies, Healthy Coastal Ecosystems, Sustainable Fisheries & Aquaculture, and Environmental Literacy & Coastal Workforce Development.
The award will be given to an undergraduate or graduate student (one award of $250) from any discipline who submits an outstanding oral presentation or poster with a primary focus on:
- Resilient Coastal Communities & Economies
- Healthy Coastal Ecosystems
- Sustainable Fisheries & Aquaculture
- Environmental Literacy & Coastal Workforce Development
All participants are automatically considered for the following special awards:
- Writing Center Special Award
Participants should apply to be considered for the following special awards:
- Sigma Xi Special Awards
- Melbern G. Glasscock Humanities Awards
- Division of Student Affairs Special Award
- Vice President for Research – Excellence in Research Award
- Texas Sea Grant Special Award
Please follow this link to apply for the special awards. (If you have problem opening the application, please copy paste this URL in your browser – https://maroonlink.tamu.edu/form/start/122604 ).
The deadline to submit the application for special awards is Tuesday, 21st March, 2017 at 11:45 P.M.
Please direct your questions about special awards or SRW subject category awards to firstname.lastname@example.org